Horner Appoints a Hospital Planner To Direct Program on Health Careers

Radcliffe President Horner last week chose Jeannette H. Haase, a hospital planner for the Health Planning Council for Greater Boston, to administrate a $318,000 program for developing new careers for women in primary health care.

Although Radcliffe received the funds from the Robert W. Johnson Foundation last Spring, it could not use the grant until the appointment of an overall coordinator.

The grant will support a two-year program, operated through the Radcliffe Institute, to conduct research, set up a counseling service and devise a training program to prepare women for new health care jobs.

Charlotte Davis, director of the newly-created Radcliffe Office of Program Development, said last week that the search committee chose Haase from 21 applicants. "The caliber of talent in that group amazed everybody," she said. "We learned that it just isn't true that there aren't enough qualified women to fill positions in health fields."

Haase, a 1959 Goucher graduate, received her Ph.D. in medical science from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Before joining the Health Planning Council she worked at the Harvard Center for Community Health and Medical Care. Prior to that job she was an assistant professor of biology at Simmons College and a research assistant at the School of Public Health.

Davis said that during the first year of the grant a research staff will study the factors which inhibit women from entering the health professions. The researchers will also try to identify the areas of primary health care delivery that will need greater attention, and to select those areas that will best be served by the talents of women.

After devising a para-professional training program. Haase's staff will operate it on a trial basis next year. The grant includes fellowship money for 12 women to take the program.