Harvard Archaeologist Will Excavate Historical Artifacts From Harbor Fort

A Harvard archaeologist will conduct a search for historical artifacts on Boston Harbor's Castle Island before a refurbishing project begins on the island's Fort Independence sometime next year.

William Turnbaugh, a research assistant from the Peabody Museum, said he will begin work as soon as the ground thaws and hopes to find foundations, parts of walls, offices, plates, broken bottles, and pieces pertaining to structure, such as nails and broken glass.

'A Latrine Here'

Turnbaugh, who has been hired by the Metropolitan District Commission (MDC) for a $7000 retainer fee, added, "We might even find a latrine here and there."

The excavation is to be carried out in anticipation of damage being done to the buried sites during the upcoming project, which is being carried out in preparation of the U.S. bicentennial celebration in 1976.

Turnbaugh said any objects found will be the MDC's property, although the Peabody may take any findings not used as "a study collection."

Turnbaugh said there were at least four different forts built on Castle Island site in the seventeenth century. The first known fort was built in 1634 by John Winthrop.

Edgar Allen Poe, Oliver Wendell Holmes, and Charles Francis Adams were each stationed there, and John Hancock was a commander there for several years, Turnbaugh said