Fewer Fellows In History

FUNDS:

The History Department announced this week that it will cut back its teaching fellow funds next year in order to comply with Dean Rosovsky's new "no growth" budget.

Because there will be about a 7 percent inflation rise next year and no increase in departmental funds, the History Department will have two or three fewer teaching fellows in order to save money.

Wallace T. MacCaffery, chairman of the department, said Tuesday that in another economy move the department will replace only two of the four assistant professors who will have left by the end of this year.

None of the other 29 major departments Dean Rosovsky asked to hold to their present budgets next year have announced any staff cutbacks.

MacCaffrey said the loss of teaching fellows will not hurt the History Department's teaching quality, because the department will use "more junior and senior Faculty members--to direct theses, for example."

However, Jean Agnew, a fourth-year History graduate student and member of the steering committee of the Graduate Student Panel, said, "I definitely see this as a problem of the Administration's priorities--which are first of all to their endowment and last to education."

There is "no question" that graduate students are already feeling the effects of a decrease in funds, Agnew said.

Graduate School of Arts and Sciences officials disagreed with Agnew, saying that the financial situation of graduate students will not get worse next year.

Both Dean Doreen and Peter S. McKinley, administrative dean of the GSAS, said graduate students are unlikely to have any new problems next year with getting money or jobs.

Recommended Articles

Support the Union
T WO WEEKS AGO, Victor Jones, dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, signed, sealed, and delivered an
Teaching Fellow Post May Face Elimination
Present discussion within the Faculty may result in the abolition of the status of teaching fellows, Dean Bundy confirmed yesterday.
Can't Get More? Work Less
This doesn't seem to be the year for graduate students. Faculty budget cut-backs promise a reduction in teaching fellows in
Economics Dept. Approves Graduate Fellowship Plan
Economics has become the third Department to adopt a variation of the graduate fellowship program proposed by Dean Ford last
Primarily Not For Grads
How do you understand the phrase "Primarily for Undergraduates" that is found in the beginning of many course listings in
Overseers' Report Hits Teaching Fellows
(Following are excerpts from a report of the Overseers Committee to visit the College criticizing the teaching fellows program at