New Applicants Ask for Less Financial Aid

Although more high school seniors have applied to Harvard this year than last, fewer have applied scholarships, L. Fred Jewett '57, dean of admissions and financial aid, said yesterday.

Jewett said he was worried that the decrease in scholarship applications might indicate a partial failure in his attempt to recruit qualified candidates from low income groups.

Pessimistic

Although he said he was pleased at the increase of more than 200 applications to the College over last year's total of 7550, Jewett called the decline in scholarship applications--from 53 per cent of the total last year to well below half this year--"not an optimistic sign."

After significant declines in applications to the College last year from blacks and people from other minority groups, especially those from inner city areas, Jewett and his staff have worked this year to increase their number, he said.

Both the drop in the number of those applying for scholarships and the increase in applications to the college came as a surprise, Jewett said.

Jewett cited the state of the economy, rising tuition and rising costs of living as reasons for expecting fewer applicants who need financial aid.

The rise in applications to the College can be attributed in part to the ever more efficient organization of the admissions staff, alumni and present students, Jewett said.

"As for the decline in scholarship applications, we will have to wait and see," he said.