'Clear-Cut Lines' In CHUL

RATIOS:

By Richard J. Meislin

After the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life voted narrowly last week to recommend the elimination of specific sex ratios for the Houses, Dean Rosovsky said he was disappointed at the "clearcut lines drawn" between Harvard and Radcliffe CHUL representatives.

The lines became sharper this week as angry Radcliffe residents me to discuss possible moves they could take to overturn CHUL's action.

The first step, said Beth D. Jacob '74, chairman of the South House Committee, will be ask the CHUL to repeal its resolution--a step Radcliffe representatives to the advisory group will take when CHUL meets in February. It is possible that CHUL could reverse itself because upcoming elections may bring in committee members opposed to the elimination of sex ratios.

If that fails, Jacob said, Radcliffe residents may petition the Houses and in the Yard for support of Radcliffe's 1.18-to-1 male-female ratio, or might take stronger action, such as refusing to sign next year's room contracts and organizing freshmen to do the same.

The final move, however, will be Dean Rosovsky's: He must decide whether to implement CHUL's recommendation. Rosovsky has said that he will rely heavily on Dean Whitlock's advice; Whitlock has said the possible effects must be studied further.

To Radcliffe's residents, the possibilities seem more clear: "This resolution could mean there will be no place where women can live to be sure of a 1-to-1 ratio" said Susan G. Cole '74, the North House CHUL representative. "We shouldn't feel we have to live with men on their own terms."