Library Opposition Grows

CONTROVERSIES:

By Philip Weiss

A civic group began its fund drive and distinguished academics threw up their hands as opposition to the proposed site of the Kennedy library became more and more explicit this week.

On the Harvard front, four law professors, with support from over half of the Law School faculty, wrote to President Bok at midweek to say that tourists might wrest west Cambridge from the University if plans to incorporate a museum with the library went through.

In the letter, Henry J. Steiner '51, James Vorenberg '49, and David L. Shapiro '54, professors of Law, and Stanley S. Surrey, Smith professor of Law, said that the quality of life in Cambridge is threatened if the museum is built, as proposed by the Kennedy Corporation, on the 12-acre MBTA yards. The congestion of added masses in the Square would bring with it the problems of pollution, traffic, and parking, they argue.

The professors made it clear that they welcome the presence of the archives and the Kennedy School of Government in Cambridge. But their concern with congestion problem focused even on the physical structure of the library, a monolithic design by I.M. Pei, which they fear will draw visitors to the memorial.

Bok replied that just because the University has staked a 2.2 acre claim in the complex does not mean that he would agree to unreasonable congestion to hold on to that space. And just because Harvard is actively seeking funds for the Library doe not mean that the University has committed itself to the particular design.

The word from Bok was wait. When the environmental impact statement comes out from the government, only then will Harvard make its stand.

Meanwhile, slightly east of Harvard Square, Neighborhood Ten sent 1000 Cambridge citizens a fund-raising letter. Neighborhood Ten hopes to get up between $10,000 and $15,000 to hire lawyers and consultants to shadow the General Service Administration (GSA) while it prepares the impact statement.

Edward O. Provost, Jr., treasurer for the group, said one week ago, "When the draft is done we want to be in a position to make telling comments and to do this we have to retain experts."

One thing Neighborhood Ten's vigilance has accomplished already is that the GSA is on its toes and will be very careful with its statement.

John S. Kalivas, a program specialist in the GSA's environmental affairs office, conceded last week that the statement will "undoubtedly end up in court."

And the special administrator of the GSA, Robert T. Griffin, said, "I have not rushed this project. Getting a good [report] is more important than the date."

What was apparent this week is that opponents of the Kennedy Library project are wary of any moves by the government or the Kennedy Corporation and that at least one neighborhood group is mustering its strength well before the government even beings work on its statement.