Lowell Dumps The CRR

REPRESSION:

By Thomas H. Lee

By a margin of more than three to one, Lowell House residents last week decisively rejected Dean Whitlock's latest attempt to find student representatives for the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities.

In a referendum held Monday and Tuesday, 133 Lowell students voted to continue the three-year-old student boycott of the disciplinary body, which was created in 1969 to deal with student demonstrators. Only 38 said the House should choose delegates.

Since 1970, house committees have refused to send student representatives to the CRR in protest of a change in policy that allowed the CRR to hold closed meetings and admit hearsay evidence.

Students also objected to the seven-to-four faculty-student ratio, and, all other considerations aside, to the existence of a special body for disciplining political demonstrators.

Only Dunster House has designated an official representative. Leverett plans its referendum for early next term, and Kirkland may follow suit.

Several other House committees have decided to simply ignore Dean Whitlock's request or have adopted a wait-and-see outlook while gauging student interest, opposition and apathy.