Irish Friars, Minutemen Take On Harriers Today

By William E. Stedman jr.

The latest New England cross country ratings indicate that today's triangular meet at Franklin Park should be one of the most important of the season. The top three teams in the region--Providence College, the University of Massachusetts and Harvard--meet head on this afternoon at 3 p.m.

Despite Harvard's number three rating in the latest polls, the real competition should come between the top-ranked Minutemen and the second-ranked Friars. "Realistically," Crimson coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday, "they have too much quality depth to break in."

Disabilities

Harvard, which started the season thin to begin with, could be without the services of Bill Okerman who aggravated a groin injury in last week's loss to Northeastern. In addition, freshman Stein Rafto, a pleasant surprise against the Huskies, is the first runner of the season to come down with a cold and will be out for the meet.

Harvard's best shot will come from captain and number one runner Jim Keefe, who turned in an impressive time in the opening meet against Northeastern's premier runner Mike Buckley. Keefe will be facing the likes of Providence's fighting Irishman and last year's New England champ Mike O'Shea as well as another duo of Irish Friars Tracy and Redmond, both juniors.

The Providence team is being touted as the "super team of the future, if not this fall", with the Irishman being backed up by last year's consistent runner John Savoie. But UMass has other ideas about how super the Friars are.

The Minuteman returned four from last season's squad, which despite being beaten by Harvard, was awarded the number one spot in New England ahead of the Crimson and Providence. UMass also placed fifteenth in the NCAAs thanks to such stars as Randy Thomas, Bill Gillin and Tom Maguire, all of whom will be giving Keefe as well as the boastful irishmen, a run for their money.

McCurdy, however, isn't totally pessimistic. "Keefe, our own version of an Irish star, will do a good job," he said. "We have nothing to lose, so we'll go out there and shoot the works."