Elis Shut Out Brown For First Ivy Victory; Tigers Edge Dartmouth; Quakers Tie Big Red

While Harvard was running over Columbia Saturday, the other Ivy teams gave their fans good, bruising football. Yale had its hands full in shutting out Brown, while Princeton toppled Dart-mouth for the first time in five years. Penn and Cornell unleashed their offenses and played to a 28-28 tie at Ithaca.

Yale, a pre-season favorite to take the Ivy crown, trounced Brown, 24-0, but as coach Carmen Cozza said, "The score was not indicative of the game."

Big Bruin 'D'

The Bruin defense practically shut off the Bulldog running attack. Eli captain Rudy Green, one of the nation's leading rushers, bounced his way to only 49 yards in 13 carries. He had gained 269 yards in the first two games.

The Bulldogs managed to crack the Brown defense on four big plays which set up the scores. After a scoreless first quarter, Yale quarterback Tom Doyle found receiver Gart Fencik for a 30-yard touchdown pass. On the last play of the half, Randy Carter boomed a 38-yard field goal, his fourth in four tries this season.

A bomb from Doyle to Bob Fernandez set up the second touchdown, with fullback Tyrell "Hurricane" Hennings carrying it in. The last big play was a 35-yard jaunt by Doyle, followed by a Greg Daniels scamper for a score.

Both defenses held twice when deep in their own territory, but the Bruins hurt themselves more with four turnovers and 79 yards in penalties. Each offense ground out 17 first downs.

"We are really banged up!" Cozza said yesterday. "Brown is a good, tough football club, and we were fortunate to capitalize on a couple of their bad breaks and miscues."

"The team that wins the title will have to beat Brown," he added. "I'm glad to get through it."

Princeton upped its Ivy mark to 2-0 with a 14-7 conquest at Dartmouth. Either the Big Green think that losing the first three games of the season is a sure-fire formula for winning the title, like last year, or they really are in trouble. They have scored a total of ten points this season.

Tiger halfback Walt Snickenberger roamed through the Dartmouth defense at will, picking up 100 yards in ten carries. He also scored the game-winning touch-down on a one-yard plunge in the fourth quarter.

Tom Snickenberger, Walt's younger brother and the Big Green's quarterback, directed Dartmouth's first touchdown drive of the season in the third quarter. He capped off the 80-yard march with an 18-yard pass to Alex Kandabarow.

Beep-Beep

Penn and Cornell each gained over 400 yards total offense in their 28-28 battle. Running-back Don Fanelli led the Big Red's attack with 154 yards on 33 carries and two touchdowns. Penn's Adolph "Beep-Beep" Belizeare took game honors, racking up a total of 174 yards and two TD's, the second a 61-yard gallop on a punt return. Jack Wixted also ripped through Cornell's defense for 103 yards and a touchdown.

Penn had two chances to pull it out late in the game. With less than two minutes to go, Belizeare was stacked up on the Cornell four, short of a first down after an interception had given the Quakers the ball. A desperation field goal from 40 yards out fell short in the final seconds.