B.C. Frustrates Yardlings

Turnovers Costly

The freshman gridders imitated their varsity counterparts by committing eight turnovers yesterday, but unlike the upperclassmen, they were frustrated as they dropped a tight 20-13 decision at Boston College.

The crucial miscue came with less than one minute remaining in the game.

The Crimson had driven from their own 32 yardline to within five yards of a potential winner. Halfback Jon Sigillito then attempted a sweep but fumbled into the end zone, where the Eagles converged on the errant pigskin.

Coach Chet O'Neill was not distraught in defeat. "I know we have one hell of a football team," he said. "Our offense moved the ball extremely well and our defense played very aggressively. We just made too many mistakes."

An Early Lead

The Crimson burst to an early lead with two first-quarter touchdowns. Larry Schember dived over the Eagle line from one yard out for the first tally. Less than three minutes later quarterback Paul Halas executed the option in playbook fashion and broke free for a 41-yard touchdown.

Harvard's ground game riddled the Boston College defense for 209 yards in the first half. But the Crimson could not cross the goal line again as their numerous scoring opportunities were quashed by penalties and turnovers.

Halfback Dennis Buchanan sparkplugged the Eagle attack with 155 yards in 29 carries. He plunged for the first two Eagle touchdowns and crashed into the end zone for the go-ahead two-point conversion late in the third quarter.