Elis Top Big Red; Penn Beats Tigers

Rudy Green led undefeated Yale to a 27-3 victory over Cornell, Penn squeaked past previously unbeaten Princeton, 20-18, and Columbia won its first game of the season, defeating Bucknell, in Saturday's Ivy League action.

Green scored two touchdowns in the first half, and Randy Carter's 35-yard field goal sent the Elis into the second with a 170 lead. Cornell's only score came early in the second half, a 29-yard field goal by Bernie Szynaliski. Another Carter goal made it 20-3, and fullback Rod Gordon brought in the final TD, with 42 seconds remaining, for a Yale win, 27-3.

Elis Roll

Yale is now 5-0 for the season and 3-0 in Ivy League play. Cornell is 2-2-1 overall and 0-2-1 in Ivy Conference games. Yale is tied with Harvard in Ivy League play.

The University of Pennsylvania edged past Princeton, in Philadelphia, in a contest between two Ivy unbeatens. Quarterback Marty Vaughn threw two touchdown passes to help carry Penn to the 20-18 victory. Penn is 2-0-1, while the Tigers are 2-1 in Ivy games.

Columbia's Lions finally broke their all-season losing streak by triumphing over Bucknell, 38-33, in New York. Mike Delaney completed three long touchdown passes to help clinch the Columbia victory, bringing the Lion record up to 1-4 in all games played.