FARMWORKERS AND GOV'T. STATISTICS

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Unfortunately statistics are often confused for facts, numbers often mistaken for knowledge. One wonders about Mr. Ferrara's figures (Crimson, Oct. 21) concerning the wealth of "farm workers," a term he was unsure of despite all of his numbers, consider that at this moment Mr. Ford is negotiating with millions of illegal Mexican aliens presently in this country, most of whom, according to the Boston Globe of October 21, 1974 (the same day Mr. Ferrara's article appeared), are "farm workers." If Mr. Ferrara's figures were divided by "a few more million" they might appear far less attractive and would without doubt be, far more realistic.

Additionally, Mr. Ferrara seems to forget that the Teamsters, as their name bears out, are hardly a new organization, though they never saw fit to concern themselves with the people in the fields until after Chavez's efforts had gained political clout. Mr. Ferrara's point about workers not wanting to allow anyone to gain absolute control over their jobs is ridiculous if one has any knowledge of the present labor contractor system, a system which as pointed out by a pending case in New Jersey is often no less than slavery.

Though I lack Mr. Ferrara's impressive command of statistics, the six weeks I spent this summer working on a California ranch assured me not only that labor camps still exist, but that the conditions in at least one of them are appealing.

I hope that Mr. Ferrara will see fit to pen another article dealing with the number of deportees to Mexico, especially during slack agricultural months, since the abolition of the bercero programs ten years ago. Additionally, he should address himself to the question of the union hall vs. the labor contractor system of providing farm labor. Half truths and omissions are far worse than complete untruths.

I suggest that Chavez has not fooled Harvard, but rather, the various government agencies relied upon by Mr. Ferrara have fooled him. Does anyone remember the veracity of government figures concerning the Viet Nam conflict, or America's involvement in the latest elections in Chile? Al Cornett '74