THE STAGE

By Paul K. Rowe

Dance of the Witches. A stage reading by Nabi Swaray, directed by Kishire Chakraborty. At the Loeb Ex, December 4-6, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets available free at the box office the day preceding each performance.

Do it Yourself. An original musical revue, featuring short skits interspersed with songs, all written by Harvard and Radcliffe students. Performed by a six-person company in the Leverett House Junior Common Room, December 4-6 and 11-13, at 11:30 p.m. Tickets $1.

Iolanthe. Gilbert and Sullivan satirize the House of Lords with some of their wittiest lyrics and catchiest music, including the great patter number "The Lord Chancellor's Song." Tom Fuller, a second-year law student who's played G & S heroes from Ralph Rackstraw to Nanki Poo in the past few years, is making his directorial debut If this show is up to the standard of past G & S productions, it may well be the highlight of the winter theater season. Buy your tickets now; by next week they'll be impossible to come by. At the Agassiz, December 4-7 and 10-13, at 8 p.m.

Miss Lonelyhearts. A partially successful production of an adaptation of Nathaniel West's novella about a sort of grotesque Dear Abby. The play itself is a watered down, '50s version of the original, but Stephen Kolzak's direction is tight and his cast--with the unfortunate exception of Robert Beusman as Miss Lonelyhearts--does an able job of conveying the negativity of West's vision. See the review on page 2 of today's Crimson. In the Quincy House Dining Room, December 4-7 and 11-13, at 8:15 p.m. Tickets $2.

Play it Again Sam. The Woody Allen play about the sexual hangups of poor Alan Felix, a schlemiel who spends most of his time day-dreaming about Humphrey Bogart, his idol, and all the women he'd like to conquer. In the Winthrop House Junior Common Room, December 4-7 and 11-13, at 8 p.m. Tickets $2.

Sir and William Penn. An original two-act play set in 17th century England and subtitled "The Birthpangs of Religious Freedom." Inspired by the Bicentennial, of course. Performed by the Fisherman's Players in Old West Church, 131 Cambridge Street, Boston. Shows December 4,5,11,12,18 and 19, at 8 p.m.

Son, Son Get the Gun and The Lonely Circus. The Long Green Theatre Company of Edinburgh, Scotland presents a blend of circus, dance and participatory theater. Performances December 6, 7, 13 and 14 at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Tonight at 8:30. Three one-act plays by Noel Coward--Red Peppers, Fumed Oak and Ways and Means? performed by the MIT Community Players in Kresge Little Theatre, December 4-6, at 8:30 p.m.

Wonderful Town. An adaptation of the 1940s hit play My Sister Eileen about two sisters from Columbus, Ohio who invade New York City to seek their fortunes. The music's by Leonard Bernstein and includes songs like "Ohio," "Swing," "Quiet Girl" and "It's Love." A good bet for nostalgia buffs. At the Loeb, December 4-7 and 10-13, at 8 p.m. Tickets $3 and $3.50.