Crimson Booters Trim Powerful Williams Squad

Bullard Spearheads Harvard Offense By Scoring Both Goals in 2-1 Victory

Lyman Bullard continued his amazing scoring spree as he netted both Crimson goals in the booters' 2-1 triumph over Williams at the Business School field yesterday.

The victory extends the Crimson winning skein to three games and lifts Harvard's record to 5-1-1.

The win over the sixth-ranked Ephmen squad will probably mean a boost from seventh place for the Crimson in the New England ratings.

Harvard's recent success has been spearheaded by sophomore Bullard. Since being moved from halfback to his current striker position three games ago, Bullard supplied the team's entire offensive output by notching five goals.

Coach George Ford said yesterday, "We had to get some offensive punch. So we moved Lyman because he has a real zest for scoring."

Bullard's superb game-winner came at the 14-minute mark of the second half. The sophomore striker received a pass from Steve Hines and outmaneuvered Ephman fullback Bob Samuelson. He then dribbled to within 20 yards of the goal and rocketed the ball into the upper portion of the net, cleanly beating goaltender Sid Grossman.

Williams coach Jeff Vennell said, "If Bullard could always shoot like that, he wouldn't be here. He'd be over in England playing."

Harvard began slowly in the first period as the Ephmen kept constant pressure around the Crimson net. William's passes clicked, but they could not penetrate the tight Harvard defense.

Finally the Crimson got a break, as Art Faden fed Bullard with a sharp pass. Netminder Grossman charged out of the net to cut the strike off, but Bullard rolled it by him into the empty net at 21:50.

The 1-0 margin did not stand up for long against the swarming Ephmen. Williams forward Henry Osborn gained control of the ball near midfield and led a three-man attack against two Crimson defenders. Osborn gave a slight fake and then knifed through the Harvard fullbacks. His shot eluded a sprawling Ben Bryan at 32:09, and the game was deadlocked, 1-1, at halftime.

A revitalized Crimson squad took the field in the second half. Harvard's long-range passing game began to function efficiently, and the Ephmen were forced to play defensive ball.

The defense contained the Crimson attack until Bullard dented the net for the clincher.

The Ephmen offense did not give up and continually battled back into Crimson territory. But the Harvard defense, led by fullback Jeff Hargadon, stymied the attacks, and with a few big saves by Bryan, preserved the 2-1 decision.

"We did not play one of our better games," Ford said after the game. "We came off of a tough game at Dartmouth and we weren't real sharp today. But the defense played tough and we survived an off day."

Harvard is currently tied for the Ivy League lead with Brown, which sports three Ivy wins in as many contests.