Proposition Actors Quit in Job Dispute

New Troupe to Perform

The actors of the Proposition Theater have quit their jobs, ending a four-week labor dispute with the theater's management.

In a statement released Saturday, the nine actors and four musicians rejected a revised contract offer and ended their association with Proposition Workshops Inc., the owners of the theater.

Alan Albert, artistic director and president of the board of the company offered the actors a $35 per week pay raise, the right to establish a grievance procedure, the right to take spare-time spent on tour.

Actress Cynthia Caldwell, spokesperson for the actors, said yesterday that the break with the company was "necessary in order to retain any self-respect or professional dignity." The contract was rejected unanimously.

The actors, she said are "very tired," but "anxious to get back to work." She said the group is currently considering offers of new employment. They will remain together, she added.

Thomas Urquhart, general manager of the firm, said yesterday that he was surprised at the actors "turning down a contract written by themselves."

Press Conference Today

Urquhart and Albert will hold a press conference at 3 p.m. at the theater today. Further details of the theater's future will be disclosed.

A tape-recorded message at the Proposition's box office said the theater was "pleased to announce that the strike is over." The message referred to a "new show schedule," implying that Albert may re-open the theater.

Caldwell said the actors "wish Albert well" with his new troupe. She added that they won't interfere with the theater's operation. During the strike, Albert complained of a "very abusive and very aggressive picket line."

Albert claims the strike has cost him over $20,000 since it began on September 10. He could not be reached for comment yesterday.