J.V. Gridders Beat B.U., 34-26

Harvard's J.V. football team opened its season yesterday by topping Boston University in a high-scoring battle, 34-26, on the B.U. field.

Sophomore quarterback Steve O'Brien ran for two second-period touchdowns, while Mark Taylor also scored twice for the Crimson. George Ticknor got the other Harvard touchdown on a pass from Doug Gordon.

B.U. opened the scoring, but missed the conversion. Harvard came right back as Taylor sprang loose for a 60-yard TD run. Jim Curry's conversion gave the Crimson a 7-6 lead, and Gordon then connected with Ticknor for 20 yards and a score. Curry's kick made it 14-6 at the end of the period.

O'Brien tallied on a one-yard sneak at the beginning of the second quarter, and Curry's kick increased the lead to 21-6. B.U. went in for six a few minutes later and made the two-point conversion. O'Brien scored again, this time from six yards out. The kick failed, and the half ended with Harvard leading, 27-14.

Jim Kubacki, the third Crimson quarterback, directed a third-period drive and hit Taylor in the end zone on a 25-yard pass. The kick was good, and Harvard led, 34-14.

It stayed that way until late in the final quarter when the Terriers got two quick ones within five minutes, the second with only a minute left. They missed both conversion attempts, and Harvard held on for the victory, 34-26