Crimson Soccer Squad Keeps Rolling

Advance in Ivies and N.E. Poll

By William E. Stedman jr.

A startling Harvard soccer squad, which features eight preppies on the starting lineup and nary a foreign star on the roster, moved ahead in the standings of both the New England poll and the Ivy League over the past week.

Coach George Ford's team moved into an Ivy tie with Brown last weekend by defeating Dartmouth 2-1 in Hanover and picked up a place in the N.E. soccer poll, advancing to sixth ahead of Williams which the Crimson downed Tuesday also by a 2-1 margin.

Four Big Ones

Sophomore striker Lyman Bullard provided the offense in both wins, scoring all four Harvard goals. He now has five goals in the past three games.

While Bullard and his teammates were dumping the big Green (1-2-0) last weekend, Brown took time off to tune up with non-league competition. Both the Crimson and the Bruins now own identical 3-0 records for six points. The nearest rival now is Cornell with a 1-1-1 slate and three points in the league.

The Big Red and Yale (0-1-2) battled to scoreless tie in Ithaca Saturday. Cornell's all-Ivy goalkeeper Jon Ross recorded his second league shutout, which moves him into a tie with Harvard's Ben Bryan for the best average (0.3). Ross has saved 26 to Bryan's 28.

Penn finally got its first Ivy win after two losses by edging Princeton 1-0 on a John Borozzi tally with 13:40 remaining in the first half. Princeton fell to the Ivy cellar with a 0-2-1 record for a mere one point. Dartmouth, Penn, Columbia (0-1-2), and Yale are all tied with two points.

In the regional standings, Harvard advanced a place even before its 2-1 victory over Williams was taken into account. Last week's poll had the Ephmen sixth and Harvard seventh, while this week's standings reverses the two squads.

Bruins Dumped

Brown, which had been listed on top of every poll until this week, swapped places with UConn on the basis of a 1-0 Husky victory over the previously unbeaten Bruins. Following Brown is Springfield, UMass, Keene State, Harvard, Williams, Babson, Worcester Polytechnic Institute and Bridgeport in the top ten.

Ford's booters face Penn tomorrow morning on the Business School Field in a key Ivy game, while Brown hosts Princeton. In other Ivy games Dartmouth is at Yale and Cornell at Columbia.