Elis Down Penn, Move Closer to Showdown; Brown Topples Cornell; Dartmouth Victorious

By Michael K. Savit

Harvard and Yale moved one step closer to a dramatic showdown this weekend, as the Elis kept pace with the Crimson via a 37-12 thrashing of Penn in Philadelphia.

Captain Rudy Green and junior half-back Don Gesicki each scored two touchdowns for the undefeated Elis, who won their seventh successive game this season, and their tenth in row stretching back to last fall.

Penn found itself in early difficulty, as John Cahill intercepted Quaker quarterback Marty Vaughan's first pass of the game to set up the Yale offense in excellent field position. Three plays later, Green scored his first touchdown on a one-yard plunge, giving the Elis a lead which they never relinquished.

Green, who rushed for 83 yards in the game, scored again in the second quarter from nine yards out, while Gesicki's two touchdowns, runs of five and 13 yards, came within a span of 24 seconds in the third period.

Dents on the Board

After compiling a 37-0 lead in the third quarter, the Yale defense, which had led the nation in fewest points allowed entering the contest, relaxed, as Penn dented the scoreboard with two late touchdowns.

In Providence, surging Brown warmed up for its encounter with Harvard next Saturday with a 16-8 triumph over a slumping Cornell squad. The Big Red has now lost its last three Ivy League games.

The Bruins won the game in the final quarter, as they scored two touchdowns to turn a close 3-0 contest into a 16-0 Brown advantage. Quarterback Pete Beatrice passed six yards to Dennis Coleman for one score, but the game-winner was a 14-yard dash off right tackle by sophomore fullback Paul Anderson.

Cornell staged a comeback at this point, with quarterback Kevin Sigler throwing 18 yards to Bruce Starks for a touchdown. Kevin Scott then registered the two-point conversion by diving over the goalline.

Subsequent Cornell drives, however, were thwarted by a fumble on the Bruin four-yard line and by the clock, as the latter expired with the Big Red in possession of the ball on Brown's 16-yard line.

Five in a Row

Dartmouth handed Columbia its fifth straight Ivy League setback, 21-0, in Hanover, N.H. For the second week in a row, the Lions failed to register any points on the scoreboard.

Bob Swenson rushed for two touchdowns in leading the Green to their triumph, but the real hero for Dartmouth was sophomore halfback Roland Griggs.

Griggs, who had carried the ball just nine times all season entering yesterday's contest, rushed for 125 yards on 27 attempts. He scored the Green's third touchdown on an eight-yard run, as he led Dartmouth to its best offensive showing of the season.

Holes in the Defense

While Swenson and Griggs were tearing holes in the Lion defense, the Columbia offense was listless for the second week in a row. The Lions could accumulate just 112 total offensive yards, fumbled the ball five times, and had three passes intercepted by an alert Green secondary.

Dartmouth's victory was its second in this disappointing Ivy League season. The Lions, meanwhile, fell for the sixth time in seven attempts this fall.