'Birth of a Nation' Presented With Speaker, Without Protests

By Hollis Gorman

The movie "Birth Of a Nation," which was rescheduled after protesters prevented its showing last month, was presented without disturbance last night.

Professor William Scott, visiting lecturer on Afro-American Studies and chairman of the Black Studies Program at Wellesley College, spoke before the showing.

He outlined the history of reaction to the film since its release in 1915 and examined the film's impact on the development of racial consciousness in the United States.

Alan Bozer '75, co-chairman of the Adams House film society, offered to hold a discussion period after the showing, but most of the audience left at the end of the movie and no organized discussion was held.

About 135 people attended the screening of the controversial film.

An Oct. 5 showing of "Birth of a Nation" was stopped when 50 students demanded that the film not be shown, saying they objected to its treatment of blacks and glorification of the Ku Klux Klan.

The students, members of the Organization for the Solidarity of Third World Students (OSTWS) sat on tables next to the projector in the Adams House dining hall and said they would not allow the film to be shown.

Last night, "Birth of a Nation" was shown in the Science Center. A University policeman was stationed near the auditorium, but Bozer said that no extra security measures had been taken.

Fear

"We wouldn't have had the trouble at the first showing if we had had a policeman there," Bozer said. He said the film society decided to comply with the protesters' demands because they feared violence.

The Adams film society decided to reschedule "Birth of a Nation" when the Association of Afro-American Students (AFRO) offered to co-sponsor the showing and provide an introductory speaker.

Ewart Guinier '33, chairman of the Afro-American Studies Department, said at the showing last night that he had been originally asked to speak before the movie, but he suggested Scott because Scott is more knowledgeable in the field of Afro-American history.

Patsy Fath Davis '75, president of AFRO, said yesterday that none of the members of AFRO's executive committee felt the film should not be shown.

Davis said the film has "educational value" when it is shown "in the right context."