THE STAGE

By Paul K. Rowe

Sad news in the Cambridge theater world: Sweet Eros and The Bear have shut down along with Theater Two, largely because of continuing harassment from state and local authorities combined with substantial financial difficulties. Back in the spring this enlightened Commonwealth passed new obscenity laws that made the Victorians look like Linda Lovelace in drag. The State Fuzz promised to bust the show once the new laws were passed, and because policemen always keep their word, they busted it again and again and again. The shows producers decided to try to comply with the state's puritan tastes and removed the "open and gross lewdness," but no sooner did they do that than Cambridge began to give them heat on fire code violations. So Theater Two, finally getting the message, finally closed up shop. The two plays weren't great, but they were all Cambridge had in avant garde. Don't blame me, though, I'm not from Massachusetts.

Awake and Sing!, Clifford Odet's telling account of one family's hopes and woes during the Depression, is finishing up its run at the Loeb. The script is really quite moving and the production is excellent. The show may even help you relate to your parents when they try to tell you how tough they had it during the 30s; if you can match Odets's level of sympathy, you're off to a good start. Morris Carnovsky, who recreates his role from the original 1935 production, is not to be missed. But you better catch him fast because the show closes on Saturday. Tonight's curtain is at 8, two shows tomorrow at 5 and 9. Tickets are $5.95.

Alice, a musical adaptation of the Walt Disney classic, which is a cartoon adaptation of Lewis Caroll's essay on sex and revolution, is playing at the MIT Student Center this weekend. Rumor has it that the MIT Players wanted Derek Bok to play the Cheshire Cat (he does have such a nice smile), but it turns out he can't sing. Charles Colson, who can and did sing, was next in line for the role, but his new agent, a fellow Chuck calls "God," said there wasn't enough money in it. Whoever they got to be the cat (we don't know because they wouldn't let him out of the bag), is probably very good. Tonight at 8, tomorrow at 4. Admission is only $1.50, unless you're under 12, in which case it costs $47.

The Death of A Salesman is still playing at Tufts Arena Theater, but no matter. Wait till it's on t.v. again with Cobb and Dunnock. It's too good a play to fool around with. The intransigent can call 623-3880 if they want more info.