Field Hockey Gains Deadlock, Stops Losing Streak at Eight

Radcliffe's field hockey team played to a 0-0 deadlock against Wellesley yesterday, in what assistant coach Molly Quimby termed "a great moral victory."

The tie represents the first game that Radcliffe has not lost this fall. The stickwomen had entered the contest with a dismal 0-8 record.

Neither team was able to mount much of an offensive attack, although Radcliffe goalie Barb Matson was called upon to stop numerous Wellesley breakaways in the second half.

For the first time this season, Radcliffe performed as a team. "This was due in part to last weekend's tournament at Andover," Quimby said yesterday. "We played three games in as many days, and the team developed some cohesiveness."

Karen Linsley, who was voted to the all tournament team in last weekend's Northeastern Conference tournament, once again paced Radcliffe. She was instrumental in getting the ball into the Wellesley end, but the Radcliffe forwards were unable to score past a determined Wellesley defense.

"The team is really excited that it didn't lose," Quimby said, "and is looking forward to the Princeton game." That contest will take place Saturday at Princeton.