Crimson Must Hold Tigers To Stay on Top of Ivies

By Thomas Aronson

Coming off a 39-0 rout of Penn and facing a Princeton team that lost to Brown last week, some people might think that Harvard has a breather today. To the contrary, the encounter with the Tigers at Palmer Stadium may be one of the toughest games of the year.

As the old cliche goes, records can be thrown out when the Crimson meets the Tigers. Proof of that can be found in last year's game as a 5-1 Harvard team scraped out a 19-14 win over what was expected to be a hapless 1-5 Princeton outfit.

With this heritage of rough games and many Tiger losses, Harvard travels to Princeton today with the Ivy League championship on its mind. The Tigers are once again entertaining thoughts of a heart-breaking upset.

Harvard held Penn to just 39 yards on the ground last week, moving into fourth place in NCAA statistics in that category. As with Adolph Bellizeare last week, the Crimson will again be facing one of the best runners in the Ivy League today in the person of halfback Walt Snickenberger.

Snickenberger currently leads the Ivies in rushing with 405 yards gained in 95 attempts. On the season, the senior has churned for 653 yards and ten touchdowns. He picked up 152 yards in last year's encounter at Soldiers' Field.

Also instrumental in the Tiger attack is quarterback Ron Beible, who has hit on 41 of 89 aerial attempts in the Ivy League for 587 yards. His favorite target this season has been junior wide receiver Neil Chamberlin, who has snared 14 passes for 197 yards and one touchdown.

The name of the game in Princeton this year is defense, however, as the Tigers have given up just over 14 points per game. The leader of the Princeton defensive corps has been All-American candidate Tom Schalch, captain of the squad.

The senior defensive tackle has averaged 13.3 tackles per game this season, earning a special coaches' award for his outstanding play in each of the Tigers' six games.

Another standout for the defensive corps has been defensive halfback Ed Sheridan, who has intercepted four passes so far.

Harvard takes to Palmer Stadium the nation's 11th best scoring offense, averaging 29 points per game. Crimson quarterback Milt Holt ranks 16th in NCAA statistics for total offense, while placekicker-halfback Alky Tsitsos is 13th in the scoring department.

Tsitsos will return to the Crimson lineup today having recovered from an injury to his hip.

While the Crimson will be looking to keep its Ivy slate clean in its quest for a championship. Walt Snickenberger will be looking to move into third place on the Tiger career rushing list. The halfback needs just 42 yards to surpass the mark of 1896 yards set by the great Cosmo lacavazzi, who must be remembered by all true football fans. Iacavazzi played for the Tigers from 1962 to 1964.