Tom Columns

By Thomas Aronson

I remember quite well the pain and the joys of last year's Princeton game here at Soldier's Field. The pain came from the fact that my ears and my fingers were freezing off. The only joys came when I finally got out of the stadium and back to my toasty 50-degree room.

Sitting next to me during the test of endurance was a member of the Class of '32 by name of H. Wadsworth Billings III, or something to that effect. Garbed in a snappy red blazer, complete with ascot and Harvard pennant, he looked good but was obviously not prepared to successfully survive the biting cold.

He immediately launched into a proud recollection of his Harvard past, and I sensed that this was no ordinary man. A glint of pride was in his eye as he spoke of days gone by.

After discussing the relative merits of the current team as compared with the great Harvard team of 1931, H. Wadsworth's words began coming fewer and farther between. By the third quarter, he scarcely mumbled a single phrase to me. By then the winds of fate were howling about us.

I am not sure when the end came, but I was suddenly alerted to H. Wadsworth's plight when a concerned patron behind me leaned forward and said, "Excuse me, but I think your friend has frozen. I believe that's an icicle on his chin."

He never asked for help, this brave warrior of old Harvard. As his clenched fists were removed from his pockets, one of them was found to contain a wadded up clipping from an old article which appeared in The Crimson of 1929. It told of how H. Wadsworth Billings III had scored the final touchdown in the Junior Varsity's dramatic 14-13 win over the Navy J. V. s. A tear froze in my eye.

As I left the stadium, I glanced back over my shoulder to the spot where H. Wadsworth was. A small crowd of spectators had gathered around him, staring at the small pennant which still waved defiantly in the wind. Little did they know of the true story that had brought this man here to freeze on the steps of Soldiers' Field this day.

I knew this was the way H. Wadsworth would have wanted to go. Perhaps he had known all along that he would meet his fate close to the field that had brought him his fleeting moment of glory.

I recall the game itself only vaguely. Harvard won, as an unwitting but beautiful tribute to H. Wadsworth, by a score of 19-14.

The story of H. Wadsworth Billings III contains within it a number of morals I would not want you to miss.

Most important is the fact that games at Soldier's Field at this time of year are cold affairs. Also remember not to sit next to little old men. They'll only break your heart.

Following a spectacular showing last week, I will once again point the way to this week's winners:

COLUMBIA-DARTMOUTH--One of the official correspondences I received from Columbia says that the Lions are "crippled with injuries" this week. Can you imagine a "crippled" Lion team? Dartmouth gets a relief from the rigors of losing close ballgames. Dartmouth 21, Columbia 0.

CORNELL-BROWN--The Bruins are obviously on the upswing, having now won two in a row. Hopefully the Big Red will derail this juggernaut before it gets to Soldiers' Field next Saturday. Cornell 23, Brown 20.

PENN-YALE--Will Adolph Bellizeare have two terrible games in succession? I doubt it, so this one should be good. Yale should be strong enough to win, but an upset is a distinct possibility. Yale 28, Penn 26.

HARVARD-PRINCETON--This will not be easy. Staring down the throat of a momentous clash with Yale for the Ivy crown, Harvard must first do business with a tough team from Princeton. The Tigers always play the Crimson tough, and today will be no exception. There will be no room for mistakes or over-confidence. Harvard 20, Princeton 17.

Last week--4 for 4. On the year--22 right, 7 wrong, .759.