Army Cadets Nip Thinclads; Pole Vault Decides Outcome

An Army third-place finish in the pole vault, decided on fewer misses, gave an undefeated Cadet team a win over the Crimson thinclads, 60-58, at West Point, N.Y., yesterday.

Going into the field events, Army led 46-18, a margin which dwindled to ten points with two events left--the triple jump and the pole vault. Harvard took two firsts but lost both thirds to lose in the final moments to the Cadets.

In the running events Army showed its strength, winning both the mile and two-mile relays easily. Dennis Trujillo, Army's Heptagonal and IC4A individual champion, added two firsts for the mile and two-mile run, with times of 4:12.5 and 9:06.5. The Crimson's Bill Okerman got a second in the mile, while Jim Keefe and Bill Muller completed the scoring for Harvard in the two mile.

Crimson Thirds

Army finished 1-2 in both the 1000-yard run and the 60-yard high hurdles, with Dave O'Conner and Mike Plater taking thirds for Harvard.

The lone Harvard first in the track events was registered by Joel Peters in the 600-yd. dash with a time of 1:12.9. Steve Brown took third in the 600. In addition, Larry Schember grabbed second in the 60-yd. dash for the Crimson.

In the field events, Harvard swept the high jump. Mel Embree leaped 6 ft., 8 in. To take first place, while John McCullough and Danny Sullivan took second and third.

First-third combinations were added to he Harvard score in the 35-pound weight and the shot put. Dan Jiggetts tossed the weight 59 ft., 11 1/2 in. for first place and abbed third place in the shot. Chris Queen won the shot put with a distance of 50 ft., 10 in. and co-captain Steve Niemi placed third in the throw.

In the long jump co-captain Blayne Jeckel and Ahmed Kayali captured the second and third spots. Kayali also took first in the triple jump while Embree was second behind him. The triple jump had less than a 3/4 in. separation between first and third place and was run concurrently with the pole vault, the deciding event of the meet.

Harvard's record is now 2-1 for the season.