Developers Spend $1 Million On New Square Construction

By Richard F. Conway

Developers are spending nearly $1 million to construct two multi-story commercial buildings in the Harvard Square business district.

The owners of the two properties said yesterday that the structures will probably contain office space and retail outlets but added that they have not yet secured occupants.

The Hilon Development Corporation demolished an auto storage garage on 55 Boylston St. two weeks ago to make way for a new $400,000 steel and masonry structure. In a building permit filed with Cambridge a month ago, Hilon said it will construct a two-story building to house retail shops.

Eli S. Eliasher, president of Hilon Development, said yesterday that the building was designed in a "galeria" style that would offer its occupants "unique retailing advantages."

No McDonald's

A four-story brick building is nearing completion at 28-36 Brattle St. The property's owner, the Thomas Hadley Trust, is spending $570,000 on the project, which will house retail stores and office suites.

Ruth H. Dunbar, president of the trust, said yesterday that she has begun negotiations with possible tenants but did not disclose their names. "It would be premature at this stage of negotiations to release the names of the new tenants," Dunbar said.

Dunbar ruled out the possibility of a fast-food franchise renting space in the building. "The tenants will totally resemble their neighbors," Dunbar said, denying reports McDonald's was eyeing the property.