Crimson J.V. Trounces Boston State

By Charles Coolidge

Between the second and third period, the hockey coach for Boston State accidently started to walk into the women's room at Watson Rink, typifying the day his team had yesterday.

The powerful Harvard junior varsity hockey team trounced Boston State in a one-sided contest, 14-2.

Eleven different Crimson players tickled the nets in the game. Forward Wayne George, in an outstanding performance, registered a hat trick and Brad Wilson scored twice.

Harvard grabbed the lead early in the first period and extended it to 5-0 before the Stanza ended, peppering the Warrior goalie with 18 shots.

The Crimson skaters, confident of a victory, let up in the second period, allowing their opponents to score twice but adding four of their own to boost the score to 9-2. The lax Harvard team had trouble clearing the puck during this period and allowed Boston State to take 18 shots.

The Crimson out-skated the State team in the third period but did little scoring until the end of the game, when it scored three times in the last two minutes. With an assist from Ames Byrd, George completed his hat trick with 17 seconds on the clock.

The Harvard skaters bombarded the three different Boston State goalies with 57 shots. The goaltending reached an afternoon low when a State net minder attempted to sweep a dribbling shot from the red line to the side only to watch it slip between his legs.

Coach Bobby Carr said that Boston the weakest teams his squad plays but he squad plays but he looks forward to tonight when the Crimson takes on the Budweiser Kings, a semi-pro team with some ex-Harvard skaters on it.