Track Team Bombs B.U., Captures 10 of 12 Events In 93-20 Winter Opener

By Hugh M. Nesbit

Harvard's varisty winter track team dashed, jumped and hurdled over Boston University last night in the season opener, 93-20.

The Crimson took first place in ten of the 12 events, and shut out the Terriers in six of them. B.U. managed victories in only the 40-yard high hurdles and the two-mile run.

Junior Bill Okerman was the meet's only double winner as he captured the 100-yard run and led a Harvard sweep of the one-mile run. His times were 2:20.2 and 4:21.3 respectively.

Co-captain Blayne Heckel made Ivy League history as he somersaulted in mid-air on his long jump of 21'9", good enough for second place. Heckel had earlier won the pole vault at 15 feet.

The Crimson opened the meet by taking all three places in the 35-pound weight toss. Dan Jiggetts won it with a personal best of 56'4" on his last attempt. Co-captain Steve Niemi took second, while freshman Ed Ajootian finished third.

Chris Queen and Jiggetts captured first and second in the shot put. Queen's winning distance was 49'3".

Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace, who quit at the end of the season last spring, returned last night to win the long jump with a leap of 23'1/2". He also placed second in the triple jump.

The Terriers' best effort of the night was the 40-yard high hurdles. Normally, the distance is 60 yards, but since the collapse of the bubble last winter, the meets have been in Briggs Cage which can only accommodate a 40-yard race.

B.U.'s Tyler and Queen finished first and second, giving their team eight points. Sophomore Craig Butler took third for Harvard.

High jumper Mel Embree came close to last year's best of 7'1/4", but had to settle for first place at 6'10".

Other Winners

Harvard's other winners were Alhmed Kayali in the triple jump, Larry Schmeber in the 40-yard dash, and Joel Peters in the 600-yard run. The mile relay team of Gary Schmidt, Steve Brown, Peters, and Sam Butler won with a time of 3:35.9.

Head coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday he was very pleased with some "unexpected plusses" in last night's meet.

"I am very encouraged by Peters and Schmidt in the 600-yard dash, as well as Schember in the 40," he said.

"This week is the first time we've been together in practice," McCurdy added. "There were a lot of Crimson shirts out there tonight, and that enthusiasm bodes well."