Park Nabs Best Coach Award As Top College Baseball Pilot

Harvard varsity baseball coach Loyal Park was named New England College Coach of the Year by the Professional Baseball Scouts Association Wednesday night. The ceremony took place at Pleasant Valley Country Club in Sutton.

Park has led the Crimson to a five-year record of 129 wins and 37 losses. He has also skippered Harvard to three Eastern League and Greater Boston titles in a row. Park, who also won the award in 1971, said that the honor was not for him but for the performance of the entire ball club.

"You really can't win this award unless you have a great club behind you," Park said yesterday. "It was really a nice affair, and I was glad to see the kids get some recognition," he said.

Jeff Jones '20, a former ballplayer for Harvard and now a scout for the Oakland A's, introduced Park to the forty scouts in attendance.

George Russell, varsity baseball manager, also spoke after Park accepted a three-and-one-half foot trophy. "It's funny--the trophy is even bigger than the Eastern title trophy I received last year," Park said later.

Besides the trophy, Park received several congratulatory telegrams from major league clubs, including the Pitts-burgh Pirates and Boston Red Sox.