Freshman Council Asks CHUL To Reconsider Sex Ratio Vote

By Richard Lehr

The Freshman Council voted 28-6 last night to recommend that the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life reconsider its recent decision to end enforced sex ratios at Radcliffe.

Russell R. Meyer '77 and Eun-Hee Chang '77, two Freshman Council representatives who have recently been elected to serve as two of three freshman representatives to CHUL both voted in favor of the recommendation.

The vote followed the report of a committee which the Council organized two weeks ago to study the question of equal sex ratios at Radcliffe. The committee cited the following reasons why a 1:1 ratio should be maintained at Radcliffe:

*To assure that a female student can live in an environment where there is an equal sex ratio;

*To assure that there is a viable alternative to the living environment now found in the Harvard Houses; and,

*To assure that the present life style found at Radcliffe will not be harmed.

The Council had invited Radcliffe freshmen to choose three voting representatives, but 35 Radcliffe freshmen who met last night at Currier House decided that until a vote of all Radcliffe freshmen could be taken only non-voting observers would attend the Council meeting.

Debby Jones '77, one of the Radcliffe observers, said she was "very pleased" with the Council vote.

CHUL, which voted last month, 12-10, to end fixed male-female ratios at all of the Houses, meets Wednesday night.

At the meeting, Maria Gonzales '75, South House CHUL representative, will ask that last month's motion be repealed.

Horner Attended

President Horner, who missed the last CHUL meeting, was a guest at the Freshman Council meeting last night. Horner said the University should not make every House identical in seeking a unified housing system.

"It's important to have some place in the Harvard community where women are not a minority," Horner said.