Varsity Skaters Face Huskies Tonight

Goodenow Makes U.S. Team

By Elizabeth P. Eggert

Harvard's varsity skaters, coming off an impressive 7-4 away victory over Cornell last Saturday, will try to extend their six-game winning streak tonight when they meet Northeastern University at 8:30 p.m. in Boston Arena.

The Huskies will be fighting for an ECAC Division I playoff berth, hoping to improve their 6-8-2 ECAC record. The Crimson currently lies in a second-place tie with Boston University in ECAC standings, having registered twelve wins and five losses in ECAC play.

"We need this game more than Harvard does because we're going for the seventh or eighth playoff spot," Northeastern coach Fernie Flaman said yesterday. "Possibly we will break the Crimson jinx--I've never beaten Harvard."

Northeastern suffered two defeats against Denver last weekend, losing the first game, 5-4, in overtime and dropping the second, 7-2. Flaman used three goalies in each contest, and he plans to follow the same procedure tonight.

Senior netminder Tod Blanchard will play the first period, junior Jay Mason the second, and another junior, Bill McKenna, will play the third. "The system worked well against Denver, and I want Mason and McKenna to get some experience for next year," Flaman said.

Sophomore Duncan Finch and senior Bill Bryant will start on defense. Charlie Huck will center the first line with top scorer Jim Martel on the left wing and Bob Desjardins on the right.

Harvard's lineup is uncertain, as several Crimson skaters, including co-captain Bob Goodenow, have been ill. Goodenow was selected for the U.S. National team last Monday by Wisconsin's Bob Johnson, who will coach the U.S. squad in Europe this spring.

"Bob [Goodenow] has worked hard and deserves the honor," Harvard coach Bill Cleary said. "These opportunities come only once in a lifetime--and he'll have the chance to compete in international play against some very talented individuals as well as to see Europe."