Leverett Votes For Negotiation On CRR Setup

By Nicholas Lemann

Leverett House voted Wednesday to send representatives to negotiate with the Faculty and administration for changes in the structure of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities (CRR).

Leverett voted down a proposal to send no CRR representatives, as well as a proposal to send representatives to the CRR in its present form.

The resolution that passed Wednesday called on the representatives to try to make the CRR "a body in which disciplinary power is truly shared."

Leverett held the referendum in response to a letter Dean Whitlock sent to all the House committees last December, asking them to nominate students to the CRR.

The Leverett representatives will try to establish an equal Faculty-student ratio on the CRR, and ensure that the committee holds open hearings, Joseph L. Potz '75, vice-chairman of the Leverett House committee, said last night.

The representatives will not serve on the CRR unless it has open hearings and an equal student-Faculty ratio, he said.

Potz said he was not sure who the Leverett representatives will negotiate with, but said they may try to pass their proposals through the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life.

The structure of the CRR can only be changed by Faculty vote.

Besides Leverett, six Houses are apparently set against sending representatives to the CRR, while five others are reserving judgment until they confer further with other House representatives.

Two Currier House students, David B. Tachau '77 and Elizabeth P. Marsh '74, are trying to organize a meeting of House representatives to discuss CRR reforms.

Since the Faculty passed the legislation now governing the CRR in 1970, all the Houses have refused to nominate students to the CRR.