Big Red Sinks in IAB, 79-67

Harvard Nets 9th Victory in Bumble Bee

By Ronald W. Wade

Harvard's varsity came out with the most points in an athletic fiasco that was billed as a basketball game, when they beat Cornell, 79-67, last night at the IAB.

As it's done all season, the Crimson played at just about the level of its competition, committing 21 turnovers, close behind the Big Red's 29, in the sloppily-played contest.

"No doubt, we were ragged," coach Tom Sanders said, pleased with the win, Harvard's ninth against twelve losses, but displeased with the teams undisciplined performance. "We were trying many different combinations and the gentlemen weren't used to each other, but we shouldn't have looked that bad," he said. "I don't think they're too proud of the way they played, either."

Harvard, now 7-4 in the Ivies, played so poorly for the first five minutes that it appeared it might lose its third straight Ivy contest to the seemingly fired up Cornell team, now 3-20. The Big Red scored the first basket, and had a 13-7 lead with 5:49 gone in the first half.

Harvard finally realized the game had started and fought its way back, taking the lead at 10:51 on a rebound follow-up and foul shot by junior forward Lou Silver. The three-point play put the Crimson ahead for good, 18-15.

Silver and senior captain Tony Jenkins tied for team scoring honors with 21 each. Jenkins is now one point away from a tie with Gary Borchard (1028 points) for fith place on the Crimson's all-time scoring list. The 6 ft. 8 in. center needs 48 points in the team's last three games to become the fourth-leading scorer in Harvard basketball history.

Game scoring honors went to Cornell junior guard Tod Clasky, who hit 10 for 17 and four free throws. Sophomore forward Adolph Johnson (18 points) was next for the Big Red. The 6 ft. 7 in. Silver was the game's leading rebounder, pulling down 12 errant shots.

"We'll remedy it [the team's sloppy play] some way, Sanders said. "I can't fine 'em, so I'll have to think of something."

Tonight in the IAB the Crimson closes its home season with an 8 p.m. games against Columbia. The Lions will lose Head Coach Jack Rohan and gain a new gym next year--and that's all the New Yorkers have to hope for next year.

Before Last Night

Before last night's 66-59 win over Dartmouth, Mark Hardaway led the Lions in scoring with an 11.9 point average, followed by John Byrnes and Jerry Boone. But it was Cornett Lewers, a 6 ft. 4 in. sophomore forward from Brooklyn, who hurt the Crimson in Manhattan on February 8. Sanders's squad took that game 58-51, as Silver ignited a second half rally.