Freshmen Cagers Play Badly But Outscore Worcester, 66-60

By Richard Lehr

The Harvard freshman basketball team methodically breezed past Worcester Academy, 66-60, last night in the IAB. With only two games remaining in their season, the freshman cagers now boast an impressive 12-1 record.

With just ten seconds gone in the contest, Harvard's Joe Leondis netted the game's first basket to give the Crimson a lead they never lost. Worcester Academy, with only two losses in 11 games, was supposed to be a tough team, but they never lived up to their pre-game billing.

Both teams played poorly. The referee's whistle blew 45 times for personal fouls, Harvard committing 24 of them. The freshman cagers also forfeited the ball 29 times in turnovers.

But victory for the freshman was never in doubt. Jonas Honick's 16 points paced the cagers to a 31-24 halftime lead.

At 16:26 of the second half, Harvard pulled out to a 16-point advantage. The Worcester coach quickly called a time out to try to regroup his charges. But the Crimson cagers never let up, and continued their 10- to 15-point advantage.

Only when Harvard's coach Mike Jarvis cleared his bench with four minutes left in the game was the Worcester squad able to whittle away at Harvard's lead. But the freshman hung on.

Honick led all scorers with 25 points for the night. Leondis followed with 16 points. The team's towering 6 ft. 9 in. center, Brian Banks, had an off night in the scoring column, netting only 8 points, but his presence was felt as he pulled down 11 rebounds.

"It was a lousy win," Jarvis said afterwards. "As a team it's the worst we've played all year."