Crimson Racquetmen Dump Elis, 9-0

Squash Keeps Title Hopes Alive

By Richard A. Samp

The Harvard squash team kept alive its hopes for the intercollegiate title yesterday by shutting out a weak Yale squad, 9-0, in New Haven. The title will now be decided on the basis of the number of points Princeton loses to Dartmouth in their match tomorrow.

Harvard needed the shutout to stay in contention for the crown, but Yale did not makes things easy for the Crimson. Three Elis carried their matches to five games before succumbing.

Captain Glenn Whitman said last night that Harvard had difficulty getting up for the match, a perennial problem when the racquetmen meet the Elis. "The long bus ride and the Howard Johnson's food didn't help our playing either," he said.

Fred Fisher had the closest call of the afternoon, coming back to win, 3-2, over Yale captain and number five man Chris White. At one point, Fisher trailed two games to none and was tied, 12-12, in the third game.

Troublesome

Bill Kaplan at number four also had trouble, winning in five games over Steve Sherrill. Sherrill was a teammate of Kaplan at Andover and had won every previous meeting between the two.

Number seven man Jim McDonald also took five games to dispose of his opponent, although the outcome was rarely in doubt. McDonald won the fifth game, 15-5. "Whenever Jim decided to concentrate, he simply overpowered his opponent," Whitman said.

Sophomore Jeff Weigand at number six played the Crimson's most outstanding match. Weigand rebounded from losses to Penn and Princeton by winning a convincing four-game match against an experienced opponent, losing less than 10 points in his last three games. His opponent, Bruce Maronpot, was Yale's soccer goalie and has played as high as number two on the Eli squash team.

Whitman, playing number-one, had a little trouble with Yale's Seth Walworth before rallying to win, 15-12, 13-15, 15-6, 15-5. Harvard's other top men, Peter Blasier at number two and Dick Cashin at number three, had no trouble sweeping to three-game victories. Cashin destroyed his opponent with powerful strokes, 15-6, 15-2, 15-10.

The Crimson also swept to easy wins at the bottom of the ladder, Steve Mead winning 15-9, 15-10, 10-15, 15-9 at number-eight and Cass Sunstein taking three straight games, 15-8, 15-6, 15-5, at number-nine.

The racquetmen end their season, 8-1, tied with Princeton at the top of the Ivy League. The intercollegiate title will be decided tomorrow in Hanover; if Princeton loses two or more points to Dartmouth, a team which lost to Harvard, 7-2, Harvard wins everything.