Harvard JV Team Trounces BU, 6-1; Netminder Excels

The Harvard Junior Varsity hockey team combined two basic ingredients, aggressive forechecking and tight defense, to fashion a convincing 6-1 victory over the Boston University JV s last night at Watson Rink.

The Crimson came out roaring in the opening period and scored a quick goal at 1:09 on a deflection of a Larry Piatelli slapshot by Al MacMillan.

BU had an opportunity to tie the score a few minutes later when Harvard's Rick Cowens went off for tripping at 4:36, but Crimson goalie George Anderson thwarted the Terriers with several magnificent saves.

The game settled down with both teams skating at a fast pace, and the period ended with Harvard leading, 1-0.

Skating Hard

Harvard again came out skating hard in the second period, and the Crimson's gogo offensive style of sending all three forwards deep into the attacking zone began to wear the Terriers down.

At 5:36, Craig Cathonas scored on a brilliant solo effort to give the Crimson a 2-0 margin. Brad Wilson then tallied on a close-in shot at 8:48, followed by a Wayne George goal just 13 seconds later, at 8:35, and the Crimson was coasting along with a 4-0 lead.

BU finally scored at 13:05 of the second period when a Harvard defenseman made an errant pass in front of the Harvard net.

Harvard added two more goals in the third stanza, by MacMillan at 12:57 and Cathonas at 13:58--the second for each player.

Harvard Coach Robert Carr said, "The game was a great team effort. We used 19 players and each one skated well. We also got excellent goaltending."

Harvard outshot the Terriers, 35-34, and the win upped the JV's record to 12-3-1 for the season.