Tiger Icemen Begin to Growl In Ivy League As They Upset Both Big Red and Big Green

For the past three years, Princeton has been the whipping post for Ivy League hockey teams. The Tigers' record over that period has shown a 2-34 deficit against league rivals. This year, however, the once toothless Tigers have tripled their total victories, winning four already this season, while losing three.

Princeton's latest two victories came in the form of stunning upsets, as both league-leading Dartmouth and perennial powerhouse Cornell went down to defeat at the hands of the Tigers. Princeton got a lot of help from junior defenseman Jim Damberger, who garnered Ivy Hockey Player of the Week honors for his efforts.

Damberger went down to block nine Big Red shots to aid his goalie Phil Robinson in Princeton's 4-1 win over Cornell. In addition, Damberger picked up an assist in the contest. Against Dartmouth, Damberger was again a key figure in keeping the pressure off Robinson as he blocked another seven shots and grabbed two assists to help Princeton to a 5-3 upset.

The back-to-back victories launched the Tigers to a tie for second place in the league with Harvard at four wins each. The outcome of last night's Harvard-Brown contest, however, might change things--a Crimson victory would create a two-way tie at the top between Harvard and Dartmouth (5-1).

Following Princeton, Cornell has an even 3-3 slate for six points, Penn is 3-5, and Yale stands at 2-3 for only four points. Brown brings up the rear as the Bruins were 1-5 going into last night's contest with Harvard.

Basketball Standings

Moving from the ice to the hardwood, Penn dominates the Ivy League basketball scene with a perfect 6-0 record. The Quakers upped their record last week as they squeaked past Princeton 67-65 and feasted on Cornell 87-36 and Columbia 73-36.

In propelling Penn to the three victories, junior forward Ron Haigler picked up 44 points and 46 rebounds, leading to his selection as the league player of the week. The three-game performance moved Haigler to the number four spot in Ivy scoring and the number three position in league rebounds.

The standings show Brown in second place behind Penn with a 5-1 record. The two squads battle in Providence this Saturday in one of the key contests of the season. Following Brown, Harvard holds a 3-2 mark, Yale is 3-3, Columbia and Cornell are both 1-5 and hapless Dartmouth has yet to win one in Ivy competition.