SDS Will Challenge Prof. Herrnstein To Debate With Lewontin on Genetics

The Harvard-Radcliffe chapter of SDS will present a petition Thursday to Richard J. Herrnstein, professor of Psychology, calling on him to debate his views on I.Q. with Richard C. Lewontin '50, professor of Biology.

The petition says that "Herrnstein has consistently refused to confront qualified opponents who refute his views." Lewontin, a member of the Committee to Fight Racism, said yesterday that he has asked publicly that Herrnstein debate him, "but Professor Herrnstein refuses to debate me in public."

Herrnstein said yesterday that there is no grounds for a debate. "Professor Lewontin and I do not disagree on the question of the inheritability of I.Q., so the whole controversy is a fraud," Herrnstein said. "But he likes to call me terrible names like 'racist'," he added.

Herrnstein said that Lewontin "has never communicated with me" concerning a debate. He said that Lewontin was invited to debate him on the West Coast, but refused.

Herrnstein's theory that intelligence (as measured by I.Q. tests) is mainly an inherited phenomenon which increasingly determines position in society has been sharply criticized by the SDS. The group claims that his theory gives scientific backing to racism.

The SDS met last night to discuss the presentation of the petition to Herrnstein. Katherine J. Moos '75 said that "between 600 and 1000 signatures "had been collected on the petition which says that Herrnstein's views "are of questionable scientific and social merit."

In a flyer circulated yesterday, SDS said it opposed Herrnstein's plans to teach a General Education course next fall on intelligence. However, Herrnstein said yesterday, "No, I hadn't planned such a course for the fall, but now that the SDS has told me not to give it, I'll have to think about it."