Yale Again Cancels Shockley and Innis

The Yale Calliopean Society cancelled its plans last week for a debate on genetics between William B. Shockley and Roy Innis.

The conservative political group cited "lack of logistical support, insufficient funds, and extraordinary pressure from the Yale community" as reasons for the cancellation.

The Calliopean Society is the third Yale group to call off plans for appearances by Shockley, a Stanford University professor of electrical engineering, in the last two months.

The Harvard Law School Forum scheduled a debate between Shockley and Innis, national director of the Congress on Racial Equality, last October but cancelled it under last-minute pressure from black law students and faculty.

Shockley and Innis have debated only once, on the NBC-TV Tomorrow show last December. They were scheduled to debate at Princeton University in December, but Innis refused to speak and Shockley debated Ashley Montagu, a Rutgers University professor of anthropology, instead.

Shockley has claimed that blacks are genetically less intelligent than whites, and that intelligence in blacks is directly proportional to their percentage of caucasian blood