Bok, Three From Currier Will Discuss New Master

President Bok said yesterday that he told the outgoing masters of Currier House, R. Paul Levine and Ursula W. Goodenough '69, he will meet with no more than three Currier students to discuss who should be the new House master.

Bok said he would meet with the students next week and that he plans to make a final choice in the next two months.

Students in Currier House said yesterday that they disapprove of both the "speed and sparsity of representation" that Bok is demanding.

Student members of both the Currier Women's Group and the House Master Selection Committee said they had wanted to wait "a couple of weeks" before consulting with Bok. A representative of the Master Selection Committee said yesterday, "Bok wants to hustle the whole thing through for some reason."

Katherine Fleischmann '76, who will be one of the three students to meet with Bok, said she thought an adequate job of finding suitable candidates for master could not be done by next week.

"We haven't been given enough time to decide about possible people and won't have any opportunity to find out about them by then," she said.

Goodenough, who announced with her husband two weeks ago that they were resigning as co-masters, said they told Bok of their intent to resign over two months ago, but that no search for replacements had begun until this week.

She also said she was surprised at the speed with which Bok has moved to complete the search for a new House master.

Bok said that because it is late in the year, "we don't have much time to find a new master."

A member of the Master Selection Committee said he thought Bok had already chosen someone for the master's position and was "just hurrying through the formalities of choosing someone."

Goodenough said she thought the procedures Bok was following were "leaving people with the impression that Bok had already made a choice."

"It's not a stacked deck," Bok said. "I haven't already figured out who I want and [don't intend to] just walk in and tell them."