Biello Elected Wrestling Captain '74-75; Expects Winning Year, Barring Injury

The Varsity wrestling team elected junior Carl Biello captain for the 1974-75 season Wednesday before its annual banquet at the Varsity Club.

Biello has wrestled varsity since his freshman year. However, his injuries have prevented him from completing the last two seasons in his 134-lb. slot.

In his freshman year Biello placed fourth in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Championships, becoming the first Harvard freshman to finish in the top four. His season's record was 12-6.

Despite wrestling with a shoulder separation, Biello compiled a 6-1 record during his sophomore year before an ankle injury prematurely ended his season. This year a fractured vertebra in his neck forced Biello to stop wrestling after only six matches.

Captain-elect Biello said he had talked to his doctor and is "99.9 per cent sure" that he will be ready for next year. "Being made captain is the greatest honor I have received at Harvard and I intend to wrestle," Biello said.

Hopes to Break.500

Biello succeeds Dan Blakinger (118) who led this year's team to a disappointing 6-10 record. Biello said that his goal for next year is for the team to have a winning season. "Also, I would like to complete the season injury-free," Biello said.

Coach John Lee concurred with Biello's hopes. "I could not be happier with Carl's election. He has been plagued by injuries but next year he should do very well. His leadership and ability should help the team improve its record," he said.

While injured, Biello maintained his contact with the team by attending all the matches and some of the practices. He served as chief scorer at home meets.

Ex-captain Blakinger said that Biello will have no trouble leading the team even if he is injured. "Carl's a natural leader and great for morale. He told me he plans female managers next year and that anyone interested should contact him," Blakinger said.

Biello wrestled at St. Benedict's in New Jersey and at the Hill School in Pennsylvania before coming to Harvard. In 1970 he was the National Independent Schools Wrestling Champion at 115 lbs. His career record stands at 81-12-3.

Biello is majoring in sociology and plans to attend business school.

At the banquet following Biello's selection the coaching staff presented Blakinger with the Ames Trophy for the most outstanding wrestler to place in the Easterns this year, finishing second.

Ames to Dee

Junior Mike Dee (150) won the Ames Trophy for the most improved wrestler. He transformed his last year's 1-13-1 record into this year's 10-5-1.

The John Imrie Award for the best effort went to Bruce Johnson (167) at the varsity level. Freshman John Kaller earned the award for his junior varsity efforts.

Lee said that Kaller's performance typified the wrestling team. "He never stopped trying, but he too often fell victim to the five,e's. He was encompassed, engulfed, encased, enmired, and enmeshed."