Faculty Announces Raise In 1974-75 Tuition, Fees

The price of a Harvard-Radcliffe education will climb to $5350 next year, an increase of $325 over the 1973-74 rates, the Faculty announced yesterday.

The increase marks a $200 rise in tuition and a $125 increase in room and board fees.

Dean Rosovsky attributed the price increase to inflation. "We tried to make the cost increase as small as possible," Rosovsky said. "But we are in a time when all costs are rising very rapidly."

Graduate School Tuition Goes Up

The 1974-75 tuition for the first two years of study at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences was also raised $200, to $3400. Graduate students will continue to pay the reduced rate of $1000 per year for their third and subsequent years of residence.

The college facilities fee charged to off-campus students of the college is also expected to rise, Eleanor C. Marshall, assistant to the deans of Harvard and Radcliffe College for housing, said yesterday.

The size of the increase will not be known for several days, Marshall said. The fee for the current academic year is $295.

Scholarship and financial aid support will be adjusted upward to reflect the new increases, the Financial Aid Office said yesterday.

"In the past, the standard rise in aid has been somewhat less than the absolute increase in costs," Martha C. Lyman, assistant director of financial aid, said last night. "But students won't be expected to bear the full burden of the cost increase," she said.

Although part of the funds for the increased aid will come from higher interest yields encouraged by inflation, inflation is still "the greatest danger the university faces," Rosovsky said yesterday.

"For practical reasons, we just can't raise tuition as fast as costs are rising, and this puts the university in a real squeeze," Rosovsky said.

Skyrocketing food prices also contributed to the increase, Benjamin H. Walcott, assistant to the director of food services, said yesterday.

Same Food Quality

"Food prices rose 20 per cent last year, but the board increase will be kept under 9 per cent without sacrificing the quality of meals," Walcott said.

Harvard's price increases are "right in line" with those of other Ivy League schools, Rosovsky said.

Yale University announced last November that total charges for 1974-75 would be raised $350 to $5350. Brown University's charges will be raised $300 next year to a total of $5130. A $350 increase at Cornell University will bring total charges there to $5030.

Robert E. Kaufman '62, assistant to the dean of the Faculty for financial affairs, forecast a continuation of tuition increases in January 1973.

"I think it is fair to assume that there will be tuition increases for three or four more years, although not of the same size," he predicted.

Last year's tuition increase was also $200