Crimson Heavies, Lights Trounce Weekend Foes

Lights Beat Navy; Retain Haines Cup

The Harvard lightweight crew, in a tune-up for next week's big race with Princeton, rowed to its third straight victory of the season, crushing Navy and St. Catherine's of Canada by one and three-quarters lengths on the Charles Saturday.

The Crimson crew covered the 2000 meter course in 6:27.2 with the Tigers following at 6:36.3 and St. Kate at 6:41.

As expected, it was a dull race. What little excitement there was in the contest came during the first ten strokes when Crimson four-man Bob Leahey caught a crab, enabling Navy and St. Catherine's to pull slightly ahead of Harvard.

However, the Crimson wasted little time in getting reorganized, opening up a length lead on Navy by the 1000-meter mark, and cruised home to an easy victory.

So-So Performance

"We had trouble getting fired up for the race, and we weren't really pushed in the final 1000," explained coxswain Chris Ross. "It wasn't a great race, but it wasn't a miserable one either."

The junior varsity continued its winning ways, defeating the Navy J.V.'s by 12 seconds. The Harvard J.V.'s had a slightly revised line-up due to a disgruntled rower walking out on the team last week.

Junior Woody Harlan moved up from the third boat into the J.V. bow spot, with Dave Porter moving to number seven, Tim Hackert to five, and Jack Foley to three. The post side remained unchanged, with Jerry Boak at stroke, Rich Harper at six, R.T. Lyman at four, and Greg Miller at two.

The third varsity turned in the biggest victory margin of the day, trouncing the Cornell J.V. by 16 seconds.