Radcliffe Tennis Beats Brown, Maintaining Undefeated Season

Playing under ideal tennis conditions, the Radcliffe tennis team played its toughest match of the season against Brown Saturday and continued its season-long winning streak.

Going into the match, both teams were undefeated and both had beaten Yale. Radcliffe tennis captain Lissa Muscatine said, "We knew Brown would be rough since they have a team similar to ours, a team with much depth."

Freshman Denise Thal, playing number one singles, was beaten by Brown's Nancy Fuld, 6-4, 6-0. Fuld was runner-up in the New England inter-collegiate singles match.

Muscatine Streaks

Captain Muscatine, playing number two singles, defeated Julie McClur, 6-2, 6-0. Muscatine, a sophomore, remains undefeated in this season's singles play.

Sukie Magraw, a freshmen, outplayed Martha Zeiger, winning, 6-1, 6-4, in number three singles.

In number four singles sophomore Maude Wood lost to Nancy Lewis, 6-2, 7-6.

Freshman Rita Funaro played Sandy McDougall, defeating her, 6-3, 6-4. Funaro is undefeated for the season in singles play.

Kathy Agoos, a senior, played Nancy Barrow in number six. Barrow won, 6-3, 6-4.

In doubles Thal and Muscatine defeated Fuld and McClur, 7-5, 6-2. Number two doubles pitted Radcliffe's Magraw and Funaro against Brown's Zeiger and Lewis. Radcliffe swept Brown, 6-2, 6-4. Magraw is undefeated for the season in singles and doubles play.

In describing the victory, coach Betty Lincoln said, "The win should be attributed to a tremendous team effort."

"The Radcliffe tennis team is very exciting because it's a young team that is growing and improving steadily," she said. "There's a lot of potential for improvement that might not even show until next season."

Today Radcliffe plays at Wellesley. Although the match is expected to be tough, captain Muscatine said yesterday, "The momentum from the Brown victory should carry us through the season."