Crimson Nine Faces B.C. In GBL Rematch Today

By Thomas Aronson

The last time Harvard and Boston College met on the baseball diamond the result was a long, cold and dreary 10-6 victory for the Crimson.

But things have changed in the three weeks since then. For one thing, the temperature will probably be much higher when the two squads take to Soldier's Field today at 3 p.m. More importantly, coach Loyal Park's lineup will be very different from the earlier encounter's.

The drastic revision of the Crimson's batting order in recent weeks has made things tough on the ballplayers, but the team has reacted well to the changes. A 16-5 record, including a 4-0 log against Greater Boston League rivals, is evidence of the club's versatility.

Eagles Unchanged

Things have not changed too much for coach Eddy Pellagrini's Eagles. Entering yesterday's contest with Dartmouth, the squad was 9-5-1, in part due to the heroics of freshman Tom Songin.

Songin, a Walpole boy, leads the Eagles with eight roundtrippers this season. The freshman phenom connected for one in the first Harvard-B.C. contest, a two-run shot off the Crimson's Mike O'Malley.

Harvard's leading batter is designated hitter Joe Mackey. The senior is currently slugging at a .400 clip. Backing Mackey at the plate are first baseman Leigh Hogan (.330), pitcher-outfielder Don Driscoll (.330), and rightfielder Dave St. Pierre (.320).