Netmen Post Win With Easy Shutout Over Amherst Six

By Betsy Eggert

Harvard's varsity tennis team, without the services of top player Ken Lindner and first doubles man Gardner Rowbothom, posted an easy 9-0 victory over Amherst yesterday in an unstimulating non-league contest.

The Crimson netmen disposed of their opponents in straight sets in eight of the nine matches. Only Amherst's second singles player, Xavier Cartin, offered any challenge, but Harvard sophomore Gary Reiner emerged with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-1, win.

Shift

Linder missed the match because of general exams, and Rowbothom, his doubles partner, also did not make the trip. Crimson coach Jack Barnaby compensated for their absence by moving the regular second-through-sixth players each up a notch and adding John Thornton to the lineup.

John Ingard, in the number-one slot, overwhelmed John Bates, 6-1, 6-1; Reiner won at number two; and Chip Baird defeated Greg Lewis, 6-3, 6-2, in the third singles match. Freshman John Horn, in the fourth singles position, crushed Gabe Dumont, 6-0, 6-4, and Hugh Hyde downed Tim Snyder, 6-2, 7-6, at fifth singles.

Singles Sweep

Thornton defeated Amherst captain Brian McDermott, 6-0, 6-4, to complete the singles sweep and then teamed with Hyde to take Snyder and Dumont, 6-4, 6-3, in the third doubles match. Ingard and Horn defeated Beates and Lewis, 6-1, 6-4, at number one, while Baird and Reiner, the second doubles pair, edged Cartin and George McGovern, 7-5, 6-4.

The Crimson, currently 11-4 overall, faces Dartmouth at home this Saturday, when the team will try to improve its 5-2 EITA record.