Radcliffe Varsity Tennis Team Wins 4 of 6 Matches in South

The Radcliffe varsity tennis team returned from a spring vacation tour of Virginia, North Carolina and Washington, D.C., with more than just a won-lost record. The squad gained a lot of confidence, spirit and experience for the coming season, according to team co-captain Lissa Muscatine.

The actual record is a strong 6-2 mark, with the only losses coming at the hands of two Southern women's tennis powerhouses, Mary Baldwin and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Mary Baldwin rates as the top team in Virginia, while UNC is loaded with individual state champions and also ranks as the most formidable team in its state.

Credits

On the plus side of the ledger, the squad beat Hollins, 6-3; Queens College in Charlotte, N.C., 9-0; American University, 7-0; and Georgetown by a 7-0 count. The wins against American and Georgetown came without the services of number-one singles player, freshman Denise Thal.

Muscatine, the number-two singles player, feels this team could be the strongest one Radcliffe has fielded in a couple of years. "We used the Southern trip to gain experience and for bringing the team together," she said yesterday, "and for preparing us for any level of competition we might meet this season."

The first test of stiff competition the team will face comes this weekend in New Haven when Radcliffe takes on a strong Yale team. Jill Robertson, the team's other co-captain and number-five singles player, predicted even before the trip that this is the year the squad will beat the pesky Elis.

The line-up for the match should see Thal at the number-one spot followed by Muscatine, Sukie Magraw at three, Maude Wood, Robertson, and Kathy Agoos playing six. Thal and Muscatine will team up as first doubles, with Magraw and Robertson playing second doubles and Agoos and Wood at three.