Radcliffe Lax Team Falls, 6-1; Cochran, Benton Star in Loss

By Andrew P. Quigley jr.

The Radcliffe lacrosse team's two game winning streak came to a screeching halt yesterday as the University of New Hampshire pasted Radcliffe, 6-1. The loss evened Radcliffe's record at 2-2.

The first half was tightly played by both teams. UNH jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the opening minutes before Radcliffe settled down.

With five minutes to go in the half , left wing Nancy Cochran, coming off a six-goal game against Wellesley, netted one for Radcliffe and the 'Cliffe walked off at halftime trailing by only one goal.

The second half was all UNH. The Wildcats' superior speed and passing ability finally began to puncture the Radcliffe defense, and the Wildcats rammed home four unanswered goals past Radcliffe goalie Saadah to clinch the victory.

"This was our first game of the year," said UNH coach Jean Rilling, "and it took us a half to get together."

Although her team came out on the short end, Radcliffe coach Molly Quinby was pleased with her team's performance.

"We had an excellent showing considering that UNH is such a strong team. Their goalie [Leslie Turner] was scored on only once all last year, and I'm ecstatic that we even got one by her," she said.

The Radcliffe defense corps played a strong game. Captain Laurie Benton came up with another good effort at her defense post, and goalie Saadah made numerous fine stops throughout the contest.