Varsity Laxmen Drop One to Williams, 13-2, While Undefeated Freshmen Top Exeter, 10-2

By Ellen A. Cooper

In a rugged lacrosse game yesterday, a strong Williams squad overpowered the Crimson as it breezed its way to a 12-3 victory.

The loss made it clear this season will not be one for the records. However, Harvard's freshmen squad who also saw action soundly whipped Exeter yesterday, 10-2, to maintain a perfect 7-0 record and to raise prospects for next year's varsity team.

The Yardlings' Sandy White won the face-off, and fired to Bill McKenzie who put it in for a 1-0 score, only nine seconds into the game. This was just to give Exeter a taste of the Crimson's power; by the end of the first period, Harvard commanded a 4-0 lead.

Harvard continued its full-team play during the second quarter, and nailed 3 goals in succession. Toward the end of the half, Exeter capitalized on a man-up situation to score once, and the Crimson broke for the breather leading, 7-1.

Exeter's attempts at clearing were almost totally frustrated by the Crimson's excellent defense, paced by goalie Jim Michelson who stopped six of eight shots on goal. By the end of the third period, the Crimson jumped to a 9-1 lead; the last quarter brought trade-off goals by Harvard and Exeter and brought the final tally to 10-2.

McKenzie was the hero of the afternoon for contributing four goals and two assists to the team effort. This brings his total to 22 goals and 14 assists for the seven games.