Two Thousand Attend Boston Demonstration To Mourn Victims of Raid on Israeli School

By Eric M. Breindel

About 2000 people rallied yesterday afternoon at Government Center to protest Wednesday's Palestinian guerilla raid on the Israeli village of Maalot, which resulted in the deaths of 27 Israeli, including 25 children.

Avraham Harmon, president of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and former Israeli ambassador to the United States, told the crowd, "The 900,000 children in Israel are not living in the Warsaw Ghetto. We shall resist."

Harmon said that it is "no accident" that the thrusts of this terrorist raid and the one at Qiryat Shemona on April 11 were directed at children.

Other speakers called upon the U.S. government and the United Nations Security Council to condemn Arab "terrorists" and "Arab states that harbor terrorists."

Prayer for the Dead

Before Harmon spoke, a short religious service was conducted by a rabbi who recited the Jewish prayer for the dead.

Many of the demonstrators carried signs attacking the raid and protesting alleged U.N. inaction. Most of those present wore black mourning pins that were distributed at Government Center.

After the demonstration, Harmon refused to speculate on the possible consequences of the Maalot incident for the disengagement talks with Syria, nor on the effects it may have on the current unstable political situation in Israel.