HARVARD THEATER

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Dear Ellen Cooper, it's simply not true that it's unusual for a professional to show interest in Harvard Theatre.

I am amazed you did not do any research prior to your article on Mr. Norman Ayrton [Crimson, March 20]. Mr. Ayrton is in fact the third visiting director of high caliber to visit the Loeb Drama Center since 1971. In 1971 Stuart Vaughan taught acting and produced "Tis Pity She's a Whore" with a student company on the Loeb Mainstage. Likewise in the Spring of 1972 Hal Scott also taught acting and his production of "Indians" is possibly the best piece of theatre seen at the Loeb in the past five years.

I write this because I also arrived at Harvard as a visiting professional Designer. I was interested in Harvard theatre and was fortunate to have been invited back every year since 1971. I still am interested in theatre at Harvard and I can assure you that a lot of my professional colleagues are also interested.

You also stated that Harvard does not have a professional atmosphere for drama, and drama at Harvard is a pastime, not a pursuit. Be that as it may, you seemed to have overlooked the results of this "pastime;" to name just a few:

John Lithgow (Actor currently on Broadway)

Michael Sacks (Actor in Movie "Slaughterhouse Five")

Hal Scott (Director/Actor. Currently Artistic Director, Cincinnati Playhouse)

Kent Paul (Director)

Pirie MacDonald (Director)

Fred Kimball (Actor/Director)

Arthur Kopit (Playwright)

This year Harvard has produced two particularly professional students; student director Emily Mann who has received a Fellowship to study at the Guthrie, and Raymond Huessy who has just been accepted in the Design programme at NYU (stage design).

I don't necessarily disagree with what Mr. Ayrton said in your article but I do very much disagree with your opening paragraph. Franco Colavecchia   Designer/Consultant Loeb Drama Center